By Alex Wilhelm
Look, this is the last post I’m writing in 2019 and I’m tired. But I can’t let the year close without taking stock of how well tech stocks did this year. It was bonkers.
So let’s mark the year’s conclusion with some notes for our future selves. Yes, we know that the Nasdaq has been setting new records and SaaS had a good year. But we need to dig in and get the numbers out so that we can look back and remember.
Let’s cap off this year the way it deserves to be remembered, as a kick-ass trip ’round the sun for your local, public technology company.
We’ll start with the indices that we care about:
- The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite rose 35% in 2019
- The SaaS-heavy Bessemer Cloud Index rose 41% this year
Next, the highest-value U.S.-based technology companies:
- Microsoft was up around 55% in 2019
- Apple managed an 86% gain in the year
- Not be left out, Facebook rose 57%
- Amazon posted its own gain of 23% in 2019
- Alphabet managed to grow by 29%, as well
Now let’s turn to some companies that we care about, even if they are smaller than the Big Five: